Monday 7 February 2011

Brighton Zinefest 2011

Ten days ago I got an email telling me that I'd got a stall at Brighton Zinefest. After doing my celebratory dance (feet wide apart, lots of air punches) I started to worry. I had wanted to know what time the workshops were starting before I booked a ticket down, but now, three weeks before the fair started, there was still no timetable on their website.

Fuck.

I tried doing some internet research and eventually came upon BZF's Facebook page. There, it said that the workshops were starting on Saturday at ten. No problem! I could book an early bus down and sleep on that. Then I looked at the bus costs. ...OK, so maybe not the bus. Strangely the train turned out to be cheaper than the bus at £5 return instead of £9.

I booked my ticket and felt very pleased at my organisational skills until I was told the workshops would probably not start until midday. Since it takes me an hour to get to Victoria coach station from my house, my organisational skills ended up costing me four hours of sleep.

Funnily enough, this has not dampened my Brighton enthusiasm. I've been very generously offered a couch to sleep on so I don't have to worry any more about finding/affording a place to stay. The workshops all look really enjoyable and interesting, and I'm looking forward to meeting new zinesters in real life. With two weeks to go, I can tell this weekend is going to be great.

Next week I'm going to get myself to the copy shop and print out ten copies of each of my zines. Other things to do: find a place for my dog to spend the weekend, plan how I'm going to get to Victoria station, figure out how to fit my zines in my backpack, make vegan peanut butter cookies for my fabulous host. Wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment