Monday 7 February 2011

Currently printed zines

I don't have zines that are in print and zines that are out of print. For me, those would be unnecessary categorisations. All it takes for one of my zines to come back into print is a trip down the library to use their photocopier.

However, recently I've been thinking about the advantages of using my local copy shop. I would have to print approximately thirty copies of one of my zines before they became cheaper than the library. When I first starting making zines I was sure that was a ridiculous number; there was no way thirty people would want a copy of what I'd made. Then I started trading, and got picked up by Marching Stars, and suddenly thirty copies didn't seem like such a huge number after all. Now that using the copy shop has become the cheaper option I can certainly see why people would choose to label their zines as in/out of print. That doesn't mean I'm going to. If someone wants a copy of one of my zines, I'll just pop back down to the library.

So instead I'm going to go on what I have right now. These are zines that, if someone wants one, I can just stuff in an envelope and put in the letter box. The price I've put after each is what it costs me to photocopy them; I'm more than happy to accept trades of roughly the same page length/size from within the UK. To buy them with cash instead, email me so we can swap addresses.

xyz issue 1, Nov/Dec 2010, 68p, A5, 24 pages inc. cover A few articles on etymology, one on hormones, some pretty pictures and some history. This is a pretty basic genderqueer 101 zine.

xyz issue 2, Jan/Feb 2011, 68p, A5, 24 pages inc. cover Babies and kids! How children relate to gender, raising a gender-variant child, gender in children's media and other articles.

Hunkerdown issue 1, Feb 2011, 54p, A6, 36 pages inc. cover This zine is a reaction to how the mainstream media play poverty against ethics when it's perfectly possible to have both. It includes articles on foraging, benefits, how the new craft movement is harming more people than it's helping and how to get around on a budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment